|Object Name||Label, Product|
|Collection||History San Jose Collection|
|Title||Del Monte Brand Tomatoes, California Fruit Canners Association|
|Year Range from||1917|
|Year Range to||1920|
The California Fruit Canners Association, formed in 1899, named its premier brand "Del Monte." This is one of the earliest Del Monte labels and shows an early version of the distinctive Del Monte shield.
In 1916, the CFCA joined with the Central California Canneries, Griffen & Skelley, and the J.K. Armsby Company to form the California Packing Corporation (later known as Calpak). Because of its size and financial resources, Calpak was able to establish a national market for the Del Monte brand of canned fruits and vegetables. At the same time the California Packing Corporation continued the practice of selling their products under a number of other proprietary and distributive labels. In June 1967, the company name was officially changed to the Del Monte Corporation.
This label was printed by the Muirson Label Company of San José. Located on Stockton Avenue, Muirson was the only label-printing operation in the Santa Clara Valley from its founding in 1914 until its closure in 1970.
|Level of description||Item|
California Fruit Canners Association
Fruit crate labels
Muirson Label Company
California Packing Corporation
Del Monte (Brand)
|Extent of Description||Paper|
|Credit line||Gift of Ralph Rambo|