|Collection||History San Jose Photographic Collection|
|Object Name||Print, photographic|
|Title||Del Monte, July 13, 1906|
Along the way to Del Monte Hotel. Moss Landing, Sargents, Watsonville, Chittenden Road.
In July 1906 many members of the Santa Clara County Auto Club participated in a California Auto Club sponsored run to the Hotel Del Monte. The landmark hotel was a popular destination, as it was a half-day trip from San José. The racetrack at the Del Monte featured competitive automobile racing.
The bridge over the Pajaro River at Sargent's Station marked the border between Santa Clara and San Benito counties. It is now part of US Highway 101.
Known as Sargent's Station or Sargent's Village, the community was located on the Pajaro River at the border between Santa Clara and San Benito counties. It was a popular picnicking and barbeque spot.
The route to the Hotel Del Monte passed through Watsonville, a small farming community just south of the Santa Cruz Mountains. One of the top producers of fruits and vegetables in the state, Watsonville is known for its strawberries.
With its strategic location at the mouth of the Salinas River, Moss Landing had been a busy shipping center for decades, but had seen a decline since the arrival of the railroads. The 1906 earthquake devastated the community and was blamed for changing the course of the Salinas River.
Along the border between Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties.
|Credit line||Gift of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral|